Like most useful products, name.pn was born out of necessity. Developer Quinn name.pn/quinn-daley is trans & non-binary and uses they/them pronouns and needed a nice way to share how to use those pronouns with business contacts.
These days we do a lot of our communicating electronically. We can see a person's name a dozen times and
- never learn how to pronounce it the way they want it to be pronounced,
- not know what pronouns to use when talking about them in the third person,
- want to address them formally but not know what title to use (or even if they want to be addressed by a title),
- hear them being called by a shortened version of their name and not know if they actually like it.
name.pn was created to give each person a short URL that you can put in your email signature and your social profiles that gives people all the information they need to address you correctly, including a chance to hear you pronouncing your name in your own voice.
It's free and always will be (although we might add some cool additional paid features in the future for businesses). It's still early in development but it works and it's ready to use now.
On the roadmap
There are lots of ideas on the roadmap. Things we want to add in the near-term include:
- Onward links to your socials or other website so you don't feel like you're using up your "one link" on Twitter/Instagram.
- Sign up & sign in using Twitter or Facebook instead of a password.
- A list of nicknames and shortened names that you like, and ones you don't like!
- More advanced pronoun options, like being able to order them or specify that you use no pronouns.
- Context-sensitive pages — maybe you use a different name at work and at home, for example.
- Support for recording and playing audio on Safari and iOS devices isn't working. This is due to some complex nuance of modern web tech and it's proving difficult to fix without access to Apple hardware. The fix is really important to me so stay tuned!
- There are some issues with the picture uploading, especially on mobile. We use a very new third-party service called Uppload for this, and it's constantly being updated so hopefully there will be a fix in the future. In the meantime, please use a desktop browser to upload your likeness if you are having issues.